Building Cultural Capability – What works?
Do you know how to build cultural capability in your organisation?
Cultural capability is an increasingly important skill to enable high performance workplaces. It ensures people at all levels of the organisation communicate effectively, engage respectfully, and collaborate for results.
Culture is not limited to a ‘country’ culture defined by lines on a map. Culture is ‘the way we do things around here’ and consists of learned behaviours and norms shared in a group.
So, what works?
After more than twenty years and supporting thousands of people to develop their skills, we know the pitfalls to avoid. We understand the challenges of negotiating difference, ensuring alignment and driving performance. Most importantly, we know does work and why.
In order to successfully develop cultural capability across your workforce, training programs and advisory services must be relevant for the context – the type of organisation, the level of seniority and the experience of participants. Cultural capability development needs to be embedded and supported across the entire organisation.
Where to focus your efforts?
Inclusive recruitment, HR & Onboarding practices:
- Company PR & marketing teams trained in cross-cultural communication, ensure advertising and company online presence represents a diversity of faces,
- HR staff trained in cultural capability & mitigating unconscious use inclusive and fair selection processes to ensure hiring based on talent
- Induction programs develop a ‘shared language’ and baseline foundation understanding of the cultural capability
- Employee networks and diversity and inclusion strategy built into business strategy
Management and Leadership Development
- Inclusive Leadership programs ensure leaders know how to access and leverage the breadth of talent in their teams
- Country-focused programs prepare staff to ‘hit the ground running’ when working with colleagues or clients in new geographies
- Leadership Masterclasses ensure critical cultural know-how for global M&A, negotiations, global project and JV management, leading diverse teams
- Resilience and change management when transitioning teams, relocating and leading in complex environments
- Access expert coaching for leaders stepping into an Asia-Pac role
- Seek specialist advice for new initiatives – globalising business models, balancing the need for localisation with consistent business practice across borders
- Use professional facilitation for global or regional strategy meetings, conferences and events
To celebrate 20 years of Beasley Intercultural we’ll be holding events in Sydney and Canberra, sharing lessons learned and strategies to build cultural capability in your organisation.
To book your Canberra tickets on 20 September 2017 click here.
To book your Sydney tickets on 17 October 2017 click here.